Vision & Hearing Testing
Vision: You must pass a vision test when you apply for a DOT/Non DOT or to renew. The test must show that you have visual acuity of at least 20/40 (based on the Snellen Visual Acuity Scale) in either or both eyes, with or without corrective lenses.
Hearing: The tests are either the forced whisper test or audiometry. For the whispered voice test, the driver should be 5 feet from the examiner with the ear being tested turned toward the examiner. The other ear is covered. Using the breath which remains after a forced expiration, the examiner whispers words or random numbers such as 66,18.23. The examiner should not use only sibilants (s-sounding test materials). If the individual fails the whisper test, the audiometric test should be administered.
Saliva & Urine Drug Screens
Drug testing aims to filter drug users from the workplace as well as to deter drug use on the job. Urine testing is the most common screening method and detects recent use, typically in the previous one to three days. It is suitable for all testing reasons – from pre-employment to random to post-accident – and can be performed for a wide range of illicit and prescription drugs.
Breath Alcohol Testing
Mandatory alcohol and drug testing is required by the United States Department of Transportation for some occupations and industries.
This mandatory testing includes trucking, aviation, maritime, pipeline, railroad, and transit employees in safety-sensitive occupations. A safety-sensitive employee in the transportation industry is an individual who provides a safe work and transportation environment for co-workers and the traveling public.
DOT & non-DOT Physicals
It is mandated by federal guidelines that all commercial drivers pass the Department of Transportation physical exam. The purpose of this test is to check whether an applicant is physically capable of driving safely now and in the foreseeable future. Successfully passing the exam usually means you have 24 month before you need to do it again, unless you have some health problem which might become worse in the future, in which case the you’ll have to take the exam sooner.
The basic requirements for passing a DOT physical exam are:.
- Need to have 20/40 correctable vision in each eye as well as both combined. Vision correction devices such as glasses or contacts are allowed.
- Ability to distinguish color is necessary.
- Needs to be able to perceive a forced whisper at a distance of at least 5 feet.
- Maximum allowable blood pressure is 160/100. Use of prescription medication to achieve this threshold is permitted.
- An applicant can have diabetes which is controlled through diet or medication. Diabetes which is controlled though insulin injections is not premitted
- Blood sugar may not be higher than 200.
- Use of schedule 1 drugs is strictly forbidden
- In case you are currently diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease such as collapse, congestive cardiac failure or cardiac insufficiency, then you will be required to provide the Medical Examiner with a stress test as well as with a note from your physician stating that you are able to drive a commercial motor vehicle with no restrictions.
NON DOT: Pre-employment medical assessments are a workforce risk management tool used to screen individuals for risk factors that may limit their ability to perform a job safely and effectively. Whatever the industry, the health and safety of your staff is essential.
Agility Testing for Local Firefighters & Police, Including Vaccinations
Agility is the ability to change body position or direction of the body rapidly. This ability is measured with running tests that require the subject to turn or start and stop. Agility is also influenced by balance, coordination, position of center of gravity, running speed and skill.
Vaccination is the most effective method of preventing infectious diseases. The flu vaccine is the best way to protect you and your family from the flu this season.
We also offer TB testing, Tetanus,Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B vaccines along with some travel vaccines please call in advance for an appointment.
Get in touch with one of our friendly staff members who would be happy to answer any questions you have or to schedule an appointment.